Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Where do you write?

I’ve written all over the place, all over the country, really. Oddly enough, one of my favorite places to write is in a noisy coffee shop. Several spots in southeast Denver are on my weekly “route.” I seem to be able to concentrate despite the noise, possibly because of my early years as a journalist working in a noisy wire service bureau, newspaper city room, or capitol press room.

At my previous home, I often worked in this windowed corner, fighting the sun, but enjoying the space. Tilting the table up a bit (it’s my mother’s old art table) gave me a comfortable angle to plap on the keyboard.





Still I’ve written everywhere: on planes, in trains, on buses, at restaurants, in hotel rooms, coffee shops, at friends’ homes, on the beach, in the mountains, backpacking.


The point is to write every day, even if it’s 100 words. If you can get to 200 words, you’ll have a thin first draft at the end of a year.


If you can think of your book as 200 words every day instead of 100,000 words sometime in the future, you will be surprised how quickly you get there.